Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Quilt for Farfar

My grandfather had a stroke at the beginning of December and moved to a nursing home just before Christmas, so my mom and I decided to make a quilt for him to have in his new room - but we didn't have a lot of time to finish it before my dad was leaving to go see him. With my mom's help, I made the quilt in 48 hours! We picked out some fabrics my mom had in her stash, and I randomly assembled the top following this tutorial for a disappearing nine-patch, except I strip-pieced it using 6-inch strips instead of 5-inch squares. Robert helped me lay out the blocks according to the 3-color rule (no two adjacent patches can be the same color), my mom did most of the basting for me, and I machine quilted it in the ditch and bound it entirely by machine. I have to admit, I'm not totally wild about the machine binding - it looks pretty bad on the back - but I didn't have the time to do the binding by hand. I finished the quilt and tucked it into my dad's suitcase about two minutes before we had to leave to take him to the airport.

The quilt is approximately 48" by 64" - lap quilt size.

1 comment:

  1. That's impressive, especially for 48 hours! The colors look really nice together.

    ReplyDelete