Wednesday, May 28, 2014
Sunday, May 25, 2014
The plan for this quilt was that it should be a manageable project and provide free motion quilting practice. I think it did both, although it did take me a lot longer to quilt than I expected! I did a sketchy outline of all of the moths, using continuous lines and overlapping and jumping between moths as necessary.
Saturday, May 24, 2014
Tuesday, May 6, 2014
My other new project is these toadstool socks in fancy self-patterning yarn. This yarn was given to me at yarn school, and it is a pain to work with! You have to get the tension EXACTLY right or the mushrooms will be all messy and ugly. Also, the pattern is written pretty terribly (and apparently not tech-edited?), which is a shame since the kits are so incredibly expensive. The pattern calls for casting on 56 stitches, and says that if your yellow and green stripes work out to almost exactly two rounds, you'll be good to go. I did not find this to be the case. After starting over on the toadstools about 5 times, I finally looked at the chart and realized that the pattern is for 52 stitches!
I'm glad I kept working on these - I'm finally getting the hang of it (I've knitted another one and a half repeats of the toadstools since this picture was taken) and the socks are going to be really cool when I'm finished, but I'm also glad that I'm not the one who paid for this yarn.
Both the purple yarn and the socks count as new starts. I've also finished a quilt that I haven't blogged yet, so I'm at six finishes and three starts since I started counting in February. I want to finish some more things so I can sew myself some clothes!
Saturday, May 3, 2014
I guess I'll start the lace section very soon, but this project will probably move much more slowly this summer.