I pulled out my heirloom tablecloth last week to start finishing it (Yes, this means I finished my super-secret embroidery project, but I haven't wrapped up or given the gift yet, so I'm not posting about it yet). I somehow managed to find online instructions for the little squares - turns out they're called eye stitch.
I made one little square, but it is not quite right. It's the one on the upper right in this photo. It's too bulky and the hole is not big enough. It was pretty difficult to get the threads to line up right while I was sewing it. So my conclusion is that I'm using the wrong thread. My aunt told me that she was using DMC thread, so I bought white no. 5 perle cotton. Now I'm thinking I need no. 8, so it's back to the store before I can get going on it again.
I'm linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.