Saturday, October 25, 2014

CMS/Colloquium knitting

I finished the half-teal square from last week with another color and knitted a few squares of the next row on Thursday.  I'm excited about finishing the mitered squares but not at all looking forward to weaving in the many hundreds of ends on the back.  I'm thinking of using this tutorial to crochet a black border around the edge.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pincushion finished!

I finished my cross-stitch pincushion kit last week.  The embroidery went pretty fast, and then I washed it with Eucalan, pressed it, trimmed the corners, serged around the edge, and and then tried to stitch it around the pincushion form.  The fabric was still too big - it covered the hole on the form where the pincushion base screws in, so I took it off, trimmed it more aggressively, re-serged, re-pressed, and stitched and stretched it around the form. 

I think it's cute!

Friday, October 17, 2014

CMS knitting

I thought I had enough of the dark teal yarn for one more square, but I was wrong.  I got half way through this square yesterday and ran out of yarn just as my first seminar was ending.  Sad.  Since this is all scrappy anyway, I think I'm just going to connect up another color and finish the square rather than ripping it out. 

This thing is about 20" by 26" right now.  I think I can get at least one more row out of the remaining yarn.  I'm interested to see how close to square I can get it.

Saturday, October 11, 2014

CMS/Colloquium knitting

I knitted four more little squares on Thursday afternoon.  Next week I'll have this row finished.  I'm starting to worry about running out of yarn, but I think there's enough for one more row after this.  Then I'll have four million ends to weave in ...

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

What I've been working on lately

 My Fickle Nickel quilt - almost done and being donated to the church auction the first weekend in November.  Robert has taken to calling this the "girl vomit quilt" and is thrilled that he won't have to have it permanently in the house.
 A new pair of socks - the pattern is Business Casual.  This is turning out to be a very easy but still interesting project.  It's good for working on when I'm out and about.  I could definitely see myself making another pair of these.
An Eva Rosenstand cross-stitch pincushion kit that my mom found with some of her and my old UFOs.  I'm enjoying this one a lot, too.

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Embroidered tablecloth finished!

 Last weekend I finished the oldest UFO on my list.  My aunt started this tablecloth in 1960, when she was pregnant with my cousin.  She used to do a lot of incredibly beautiful embroidery - she was even a pattern tester/sample maker for Eva Rosenstand, a large Danish embroidery company!

Aunt Inge never finished the tablecloth.  In Summer 2011, I was visited her and she gave it to me to finish.  Her vision isn't as good as it used to be and she is no longer able to do embroidery, but she wanted the tablecloth finished.  I promised that I would finish it, and it's been slow progress, but it is now done! 
It fits our dining table - but I'm not sure we'll ever use it for actual dining.  I wouldn't want to stain it.  We'll probably use it for display only.  It has eight lovely matching napkins. 

Saturday, October 4, 2014

CMS/Colloquium knitting

I'm chugging along on the mitered squares ... I think I finished four on Thursday afternoon!  If I can finish three more rows it will be square.  I would be happy with that size.  I'm thinking about maybe adding a border at the end to make it a bit bigger - I have some black yarn left over from Robert's socks.  I'm not sure how far it would go around the edge of this thing, but even an inch would make it a bit bigger and give it a sturdier edge, which would probably be a good thing.