Thursday, August 30, 2012
In other news, I've let my living room be taken over by a new quilt - there are a few babies due to arrive in my extended family in the next several months, and I'm making this very adorable baby boy quilt for one of them.
Monday, August 20, 2012
I threw it all in the wash (along with the backing fabric for my fickle nickel quilt), and when it was done this is what came out:
Saturday, August 18, 2012
It actually turned out really well! My flying geese and half-square triangles were pretty close to perfect (close enough that I decided to be lazy and not square up the HSTs), and although not all of the seams and points are matched perfectly, they're pretty good - certainly better than I expected, and better than I usually manage. I actually think it's easier to match seams on a small scale than with larger pieces, although if I pinned at least every inch on larger-scale patchwork, I probably wouldn't have as much of a problem. The points aren't perfect, but almost all of them are floating rather than cut off, which in my subjective opinion (I have no idea what the quilt-world consensus is on this issue) is the better option. The block unfinished block measures 12 5/8 to 12 3/4" square, and I think if I had bothered to square up the HSTs it would have been right on!
My confidence is bolstered! I realized, though, that when I start it with the intended fabric, this quilt is probably going to take me a year to piece. I don't think I'll even be able to do a block a week. By the end of this block, I was pretty tired of focusing on it. Probably it is a better idea to cut out all the pieces and make the flying geese and HSTs, then finish squaring them up and sewing the block together another (maybe two other) day (s).
I'm linking up for Friday Night Sew-In at Crafty Vegas Mom.
Thursday, August 16, 2012
this tutorial, which I found yesterday. I think it looks really clever, and not too much extra work.
Sometime my senior year of high school, my mom bought me this skirt. It was my favorite skirt all through college, until my first year of grad school, when I decided it was just too worn out to be worn anymore. There were some holes in the outer skirt near the zipper, and all the years of washing and wearing had stretched the yoke out a bit, so that when I lost the weight I had gained in college the summer after graduation, I started having to use a safety pin to hold it up. So when I saw some similar fabric at JoAnn about a year ago, I snatched up way too much of it, with the intention of making a replica.
Yesterday I sat down and finished it. I just did a rolled hem for the outer skirt, and then I cut off the ruffle from the lining of the old skirt, trimmed the inner skirt to the right length, serged the inner skirt, and attached the ruffle. Here's the new skirt. It's very close to how the old skirt was, with the improvement of pockets!