Natalie, who is a member of my church choir and who used to be the director of religious education before she retired, was married yesterday to Bill, another member of our church. My choir buddy Carolyn and I decided to make a quilt for them.The stars are 12" finished, and we decided to offset them for more visual interest, so the blocks finished at 15". The quilt is about 60" by 90", which is either twin-sized or a generously sized two-person couch quilt. We ordered this lovely extra-wide batik for the backing:
This's print might be my favorite:
We spray-basted, used warm and natural batting, and each of us quilted in the ditch around half of the stars. Then I decided it needed a bit more quilting, so I free-motioned a wavy line between each row and column of stars and then switched back to my walking foot and used clear thread in the top to quilt a square in each star, with the corners at the inside point of each flying goose unit. Then Carolyn machine bound and washed and dried it and dropped it off for me to label yesterday afternoon. I used my embroidery machine to stitch out a fancy frame on white fabric using the same blue thread we had used for most of the quilting and wrote the information inside the frame with a Pigma Micron archival permanent pen, and then stitched it on a back corner of the quilt.
I am really happy with the way this turned out, and it was super fun to team sew/quilt it with Carolyn! I hope Natalie and Bill enjoy it!