Sunday, June 28, 2015

Sailboat top

I made my niece (who is 21 months) this little top for summer.  It's the Geranium tunic from Made by Rae.  I cut the 18-24 months width but lengthened the bodice by 1/2" and cut the "skirt" about half an inch longer than the 3T length.  Then I put a tuck in the hem, which took out about 1.25" of length, so it can easily be lengthened as she grows.  My niece is tall and skinny.  I think it might even still fit her next spring and summer, so I hope the extra length in the tuck will come in handy.
The pattern directions say to zig-zag over the exposed edge of the flutter sleeve, but I decided to serge it with red thread instead - I don't have much confidence in my ability to zig-zag the edge of the fabric accurately.  I decided that as long as it was going to be visible it might as well be a design element (and luckily my serger was threaded with red thread when I got it, so red and white are the only colors of thread I have for it).  I think the red thread goes nicely with the sailboat fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment