Saturday, June 20, 2015

Flying Geese Baby Quilt

This is baby quilt 1 of 2 .... the second one isn't quite finished yet, but hopefully will be this weekend.  This one is for my cousin's baby boy, who was born about three weeks ago, and it is currently on its way across the ocean to him.  I've admired modern flying geese quilts for a while, so when I decided to make two baby boy quilts in close succession I decided to take the opportunity to make one.  I used all scrap fabric for the geese: warm scraps for the geese and cool scraps for the sky.  A lot of these scraps (I think all of the warm ones) came from Hawthorne Threads scrap packs.
I arranged the flying gees in what I think is an interesting-but-not-too-crazy arrangement with lots of negative space.  My cousin is nuts about owls, so I was super excited when I found an owl print.  My original plan was to put squares of it in the quilt top where some of the negative space is, but I decided that was too busy so I put it on the back instead:
I quilted it very simply - in the ditch around all of the flying geese and three parallel rows in the outer border, all using the walking foot.  I hand-stitched the binding.

No comments:

Post a Comment