Monday, October 29, 2012
I'm happy with the way the quilt turned out, but I found the tutorial at Moda Bake Shop that I used to be incredibly frustrating - and sometimes just plain wrong. I usually don't follow quilt patterns - I usually draft the blocks out myself from pictures and do my own quilty math. But in this case, I decided to be lazy and just follow the pattern. This was a mistake. When I follow a pattern, I expect the math to be done right and the instructions to work out. This was just a tutorial, but since it was on the website of such a reputable quilt fabric manufacturer, I trusted it. The tutorial calls for, among other things, a half yard of the border fabric and a half yard of the binding, and these two fabrics also make up the stripe in the pieced back (the backing fabric alone is not enough to make the entire back).
I bought the fabric in the amounts called for, and started cutting according to the instructions. When I got to be border and binding, I realized that the tutorial calls for cutting 18.5 linear inches from the binding fabric! Out of a half yard! Also, it says to cut four 3" by WOF strips for the borders. The quilt is supposed to be 47" by 47", so you clearly need five strips! Add this to the 6" strip for the back, and you need to cut 21 linear inches out of a half yard of fabric!
I had already cut the 6" strip of the border fabric for the back, and I needed it, so I ended up cutting five 2.5" strips for the borders, skipping the binding fabric that was supposed to be in the back, and piecing the back out of scraps of the arrow fabrics.
Another, less crucial quibble I had with the tutorial was the construction method for the arrows. The tutorial uses two half-square triangles for the points of the arrows. I'm sure this is designed to save fabric, but I think it would have looked better to use a single flying goose instead. Several of my arrow fabrics have stripes, and they ended up meeting at right angles - you can see it in the top photo.
Other than that, I'm thrilled with how it came out! I was going to free-motion quilt it, but I chickened out and did diagonal straight lines with my walking foot instead. The only hiccup was that the yellow chalk I used to mark the two major diagonals didn't quite wash out ... but I don't think it's very noticeable, and I hope they'll continue to fade.