Robert and I are planning a backpacking trip soon, and I decided I want a new hat. I don't usually like to wear hats, because I don't like the feeling of having something touch my eyebrows (and any normal hat that comes down far enough to cover my ears seems to touch my eyebrows). I decided a long time ago that what I need is a bonnet or pilot cap of some sort. Robert suggested that I should use my handspun, so I decided to knit this pilot cap in stripes, using leftover yarn from this sweater held double for the grey and my Wensleydale handspun for the stripes.
So far it's working pretty well. I had to start over, because I initially started knitting the larger size (starting with 139 stitches). It quickly became clear that it was WAY too big for me. Now I'm using the "midi" size instructions, and it seems like the size will probably work out okay. If it doesn't, I still have the dorkiest hat ever (an orange and red Klein bottle hat) to fall back on.