Sunday, May 25, 2014

A quilt finish!

 Before I went on vacation, I finished my moth quilt.  I've been referring to this as my "half-bed quilt" - it covers my half of the bed only, because I'm usually cold.  For daytime, I've usually been draping it across the foot of the bed. 

The plan for this quilt was that it should be a manageable project and provide free motion quilting practice.  I think it did both, although it did take me a lot longer to quilt than I expected!  I did a sketchy outline of all of the moths, using continuous lines and overlapping and jumping between moths as necessary. 
 You can see the back in the next photo.  The front is a single piece of Anna Maria Horner's Sinister Swarm from Field Study, and the back and binding are Free Spirit Designer Solids (the back is also a single piece of cloth).  I machined the binding on both sides by attaching it in the normal way to the front, clipping it to the back with binding clips, and stitching in the ditch from the front.  It worked really well!  I stitched in the ditch on the top with the same purple thread I had used for the purple and in the bottom with a thread to match the binding.  I wasn't sure I had enough of the purple thread, so I went ahead and bought another spool, but I almost didn't need it.  I ran out of thread just as I finished backstitching after I had stitched all the way around the quilt!  I did need the extra thread after all, though, since there were three or four spots where I didn't manage to catch the binding on the back, so I had to go back and fix them.

No comments:

Post a Comment