this time) I started feeling like I had too many projects and too much stuff and I made an intention to work through my UFO list and get some stuff finished. My loose plan was that I should finish two projects for every one I started. Since then, I have not finished a single thing on my UFO list, but I have started and finished the Lone Star baby quilt for my soon-to-be-niece, the Kindle case for Robert's birthday, this little purse, and the navy skirt at the bottom of this post. I've also started a larger version of the purse because this one is too small. As you can see in the picture below, it is overfull with my wallet, ipod, keys, chapstick, phone, and my university wallet/keychain. With these things in it, it will not close, and I also need it to fit my sunglasses.
Buttercup Bag from Made by Rae. It's a free pattern, and very cute. My plan is to use this one for going to the symphony and other date nights, when I don't want to carry a huge bag and don't need to have so many things with me.
I'm planning some significant enhancements on the larger version - a zipper closure, an inside zipped pocket, and one or two inside pockets with elastic on the top. I'm not quite sure how to explain the elastic pockets, but I've seen in on some tote bag patterns, and I think it's just the thing to make 3-dimensional space inside the pockets and prevent things from falling out of them at the same time.
Here's my navy skirt. This has actually been on my future projects list for a while, and I used some really great coupons at Joann to get the fabric and elastic really inexpensively. The whole skirt (including thread that I didn't have in the right color) was about $10. I expected the skirt to go together in an hour or two, but as usual everything took longer than I expected. I put in pockets and tried to use the rolled hem foot on my sewing machine to do the hem. Even though I practiced on scraps, the hem just didn't turn out. I need lots more practice before I can use that tool on a garment. It took quite a while to pick out the rolled hem and re-do it with my usual "turned under twice and topstitched" hem.